Today we continue our detailed look at a presentation given by Jill Nelson at the 2007 Children Desiring God Conference entitled “Presenting the Gospel to Children.” In my last post, I introduced the series (including links to both the audio and the handouts. Thus far we have looked at the following:
- Essential Truth #1: God is the Sovereign Creator of All Things
- Essential Truth #2: God Created People For His Glory
- Essential Truth #3: God is Holy and Righteous
- Essential Truth #4: Man is Sinful
- Essential Truth #5: God Is Just and Right to Punish Sin
- Essential Truth #6 – God Is Merciful. He Is Kind to Undeserving Sinners
- Essential Truth #7 – Jesus Is God’s Holy and Righteous Son
- Essential Truth #8 – God Put the Punishment of Sinners On Jesus
- Essential Truth #9 – God Offers the Free Gift of Salvation to Those Who Repent and Believe in Jesus
Today we will continue with the next Essential Gospel Truth which kids need to understand to combat false gospels and to understand the true and saving Gospel of Jesus Christ. So, let’s get started. ESSENTIAL TRUTH #10 IS:
Those who trust in Jesus will live to please Him and will receive the promise of eternal life – enjoying God forever in heaven.
In her talk and in the handouts to the talk, Ms. Nelson gives poignant, concise and theological sounds explanations for each of the truth which will work great with kids. I have included my notes of these explanations below, but I would encourage you to listen to and/or read her full narratives as well.
- There is a cost involved in every choice we make.
- Children makes lots of choices that have costs involved
- Getting a new puppy costs
- Playing the piano costs
- Salvation is a free gift offered by God that will cost you something.
- The cost is your whole life.
- Means you must do things Jesus’ way instead of your own way.
- Means you must trust and follow Jesus for every day for the rest of your life.
- Will have to change some things in your life:
- Spend time praying instead of just playing
- Spend time reading your Bible instead of just watching TV
- Spend time thinking about God instead of just thinking about friends
- Hard work
- God promises a special helper to everyone who believes and trusts in Jesus.
- That helper is called the Holy Spirit.
- Holy Spirit is God and lives inside every person who believes in Jesus
- Holy Spirit is all powerful and helps you with the hard work of doing things Jesus’ way.
- Holy Spirit will begin to change you so that you “love, trust, obey, and enjoy God more and more.”
- God has promised a HUGE reward for everyone who trust in Jesus.
- That reward is eternal life.
- Eternal life is living forever with God in heaven.
- Heaven is a real place.
- Where everyone who believes in Jesus will eventually go.
- People won’t sin anymore.
- Bodies will be perfect.
- No bad things or things that scare us
- Clean and perfect and beautiful
- Best part of heaven is that God will live there with his people.
- Being with Jesus is what will make us happy forever.
- Unfortunately, this part of the presentation was cut off from the end. If anyone was at the conference and has some notes they would like to share, I would love to hear Ms. Nelson’s illustrations for this essential truth.
The implication of this truth to kids is:
If you are trusting in Jesus for your salvation, you must follow Him. Jesus has promised that when you die He will bring you to heaven to live with God and enjoy Him forever.
And he said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. [Luke 9:23 ESV]
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, [John 11:25 ESV]
1 John 2:25
And this is the promise that he made to us–eternal life. [1 John 2:25 ESV]
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. [Psalms 16:11 ESV]