Posts Tagged "Lying"
“The Blog Patrol” enters its second month of existence with this week’s post. I hope that everyone is finding it a useful summary of relevant blog articles. The response I’m getting is overwhelmingly positive, so I plan to continue “The Blog Patrol” indefinitely. There were two big conferences on Children’s Ministry this past week (Orange and Children Desiring God), which may explain the heavy Children’s Ministry content this week.
Wednesday (April 29, 2009)
- Terry Delaney provides insight into how to get your children to pray – both your own children and children you interact with in ministry.
- This article from Geoff Ashley looks at God’s love under the light of sovereign election.
- From Stuff Christians Like, this article looks at the age old question of why God allows suffering and what our response to it should be.
- This article looks at Dennis Gundersen’s booklet “Your Child’s Profession of Faith” which deals with the issue of knowing whether or not your children are truly saved.
Originally posted July 28, 2008 on Facebook
So, I was reading Proverbs the other day, and I came accross Proverbs 6:16-19. It says
16 There are six things that the LORD hates,
seven that are an abomination to him:
17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked plans,
feet that make haste to run to evil,
19 a false witness who breathes out lies,
and one who sows discord among brothers.
These aren’t things that just bother God – he HATES them! How hard should we try to avoid those things God hates?
- Haughty eyes – Resolve to avoid the pride that convinces us that we can run our own lives and don’t need the living God to guide our lives.
- A Lying Tongue – From little white lies that seem perfectly harmless to the big coverup, God calls us to transparency.
- Hands that shed innocent blood – It is easy for us to proclaim “I’ve never murdered anyone.” But, is it any different if we allow other innocent people to die so that we can live a lavish lifestyle. God help us!
- A Heart that Devises Wicked Plan – We should love and pray for those who persecute us. Instead we spend our time planning for or wishing for their demise. When we focus on devising wicked plans if keeps us away from the heart of God.
- Feet That Make Haste to Run to Evil – How drawn is our fallen flesh to things which God hates? We must resist the call of the flesh and focus on the things of God. We will stumble, but we must allow God to pick us back up a keep us from falling.
- A False Witness Who Breathes Out Lies – We dealt with dishonesty earlier, and it is interesting that God includes it twice. I think this encompasses falsehoods told about other people either in the form of gossip or malicious speech. Why is it that when people are successful in our eyes, we want to tear them down rather than rejoice with them!
- One Who Sows Discord Amoung Brothers – Speaking of gossip! God hates the one who does not start a fight with someone, but rather pits two people against one another then sits back and enjoys the carnage. God give us the courage to be peace makers rather than people who cause strife!