Ch. 13 – Shepherding the Heart Summarized – Shepherding A Child’s Heart (A Synopsis)
In this installment of our synopsis of Tedd Tripp’s book “Shepherding A Child’s Heart,” we will look at Chapter 13 – Shepherding the Heart Summarized.” This chapter is a short summary of the first 12 chapters, and it makes sense in our synopsis to do the same thing.
The foundations of raising kids covered so far are as follows:
- Our kids are the product of two things – their shaping influences and their Godward orientation.
- Behavior comes from the heart.
- Parents have authority because they act as agents of God.
- “Since the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever, you must set such a worldview before your children.”
- Biblical methods are as important as biblical goals.
- God has two methods for raising kids – communication and the rod.
In the following chapters, Tripp will look at applying these principles to raising kids at various ages and stages of development.
At this point, I wanted to say how profoundly impacting I have found both this book and putting together this synopsis. It is impactful not only on a theoretical level but also on a very practical level. I am currently working on a more comprehensive summary (a cheat sheet of sorts) which I intend to put together and post at the conclusion of this synopsis.