Posts Tagged "O Come O Come Emmanuel"
11 MORE DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!
This song is a translation of the Catholic Latin Text Veni, Veni Emmanuel by John Mason Neale in the mid-1800’s. Veni, Veni Emmanuel may date back to the 8th or 12th century.
Commentary & Analysis
This song is steeped in theology. The verses of this song all follow the same pattern. The first line of each verse introduces one of the names or descriptions of Christ:
- Emmanuel [Matthew 1:23]
- Lord of Might [Isaiah 9:6]
- Rod of Jesse [Isaiah 11:4]
- Dayspring [Luke 1:78]
- Key of David [Revelation 3:7]
- Wisdom from On High [James 3:17]
- Desire of Nations [Psalm 96:3]