Posts Tagged "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"
19 MORE DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!
The composer of this song is not known. The song first showed up in print in 1923. The song is referred to in Charles Dickens’ famous A Christmas Carol written in 1843.
Commentary & Analysis
This song, which celebrates many aspects of the birth of Christ, is deeply theological citing many aspects of Jesus’ birth and life including:
- “Jesus Christ our Savior was born on Christmas Day” [Acts 4:12]
- “To save us all from Satan’s power” / “To free all those who trust in him from Satan’s power and might.” [Hebrews 2:14]
- “When we were gone astray” [Romans 2:12]
- “In Bethlehem, In Jury, the blessed Babe was born and laid within a manger: [Luke 2:16]
- “The which his mother Mary did nothing take in scorn.” [Luke 1:38]
- “From God our heavenly father” [Matthew 6:9]
- “A blessed Angel came. And unto certain shepherds brought tidings of the same.” [Luke 2:8-10]
- “How that in Bethlehem was born” [Luke 2:4]
- “The Son of God by name.” [John 1:49]
- “This day is born a Savior of a pure Virgin bright” [Matthew 1:23]
- “The Shepherds…went to Bethlehem straightway.” [Luke 2:15]
- “They found him in a manger where oxen feed on hay.” [Luke 2:16]
- “And with true love and brotherhood each other now embrace.” [John 15:12]