Posts Tagged "Blind Faith"
Before I ever set out to learn about the Bible and Jesus and Christ, I had a very cynical view of Christianity. To me, Christians were a bunch of people filled with blind and unfounded faith in a series of myths created by man to control them. Then something happened. One verse happened. I would have said I stumbled upon it, but I now know in hindsight that God led me to it. That verse was 1 Thessalonians 5:21. It says:
“Test everything. Hold on to the good.” [1 Thessalonians 5:21]
Nestled snuggly between verses about not quenching the Holy Spirit or despising prophecies and abstaining from every form of evil were seven words that forever changed the course of my life. Here was a belief system which I assumed was based on a blind leap of faith, and instead God says, “Challenge Me! Put me to the test!” Indeed, we serve a big God and he, and his book, have withstood that test for thousands upon thousands of years.Read More
It is impossible to please God without faith (Hebrews 11:6). Accordingly, faith seemed like the next logical topic for the I believe series. So, without further ado, here is what I believe about faith:
What Is Faith?
- Faith is the substance of things asked for [Hebrews 11:1]
- Faith is the conviction of things unseen [Hebrews 11:1]
- Faith involves waiting for things to come [Hebrews 11:13]
- Faith is a shield [Ephesians 6:6]
- Faith is a breastplate [1 Thesalonians 5:8]
- Faith is most holy [Jude 1:20]
Where Does Faith Come From?
- Christ is the author of our faith [Hebrews 12:2]
- Christ is the perfecter of our faith [Hebrews 12:2]
- Faith is a gift of the Holy Spirt [1 Corinthians 12:9]
- Our faith is through Christ and equal to all saints [2 Peter 1:1]