Every year millions of people all around the world ring in the New Year with resolutions. We vow to start doing this or stop doing that, and everything seems right with the world for about a week – maybe two. Then, inevitably, something goes wrong with our resolutions and we revert back to our old habits and ways and give no more thought to our resolutions until next year roles around. So this year, rather than make more resolutions, I thought I would offer up a New Year’s prayer. Acknowledging that, in myself, I am not capable of keeping resolutions, but with God all things are possible, here are my resolutions/prayers for the coming year:
Dear God, please help me…
- …to rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation and constant in prayer.
- …to shine your light to a darkened world.
- …to remember in all situations that I am your child.
- …to serve you as an ambassador in this world.
- …to recognize that I am chosen by you.
- …to teach my children your word and about you that they may know all that you have done for me.
- …to live every day to bring glory to your name.
- …to model you to the kids you have entrusted to me both in my home and at church.
- …to never lose sight of my spiritual journey with you.
- …to make the time to spend with you each day in your Word and in prayer.
- …to turn to you in times of trouble.
- …to praise you in times of excess.
- …to be the husband that you intended me to be to my wife.
- …to teach your word in such a way that little ears would hear and little hearts would understand.
- …to be bold in proclaiming you to others.
- …to love you with all my heart, all my mind, all my strength and all my soul!