Trauma Informed Churches – Linda Ranson Jacobs [CMConference 2015]
Description: Early trauma causes toxic stress on the brains of young children and it causes untold stress on older kids. Learn tips & techniques to help your leaders/volunteers better minister to traumatized children and their families.
If you want to change a kid’s behavior, change the adult’s responses.
How can churches change?
- Educate your volunteers about trauma
- Stop asking kids to leave your groups
- Rethink 1-2-3 Strikes Your Out
- Teach what is happening in child’s brain
- Teach your volunteers to ask “What happened to you? How can I help you?”
- Reframe the issue in their minds – this child needs my help
- Develop empathy
- Encourage church wide empathy
- Develop relationships
- Encourage grandparent support
- Set up support groups
Here is a copy of Linda’s notes from the breakout (I was too busy listening to take too many notes! :))