Start Smart! Discover How Kids Learn Best – Shari Borders [CMConnect Conference 2015]
Description: A successful lesson begins with a solid understanding of how kids learn best. Come discover how to be a smart teacher and transform the lives of children. In this workshop you’ll learn how to capture kids’ attention, keep them engaged, and more!
Kids today are SMART
S – Social (Need time to interact with one another)
M – Multi-Tasking
A – Active Learners
R – Risk Takers
T – Tech Saavy
Characteristics of 21st Century Learners:
1. Expect transparency in their parents, teachers and mentors
2. Demand the freedom to show their wild creativity (balk at rote learning)
3. Are equal parts “consumer” and “creator.”
4. Thrive in an atmosphere of controlled challenge.
Intelligence is a combination of the ability to:
2. Pose Problems.
3. Solve Problems.
8 Ways That Kids Learn Best
- Word Smart (words, verbal and/or written)
- Picture Smart (pictures, images and spatial understanding)
- Music Smart (sound and music)
- Logic Smart (logic and reasoning)
- Body Smart (experience and sense of touch)
- Nature Smart (environment, nature and animals)
- Self Smart (self-study)
- People Smart (group interactions)