#7: Jesus Is God’s Holy and Righteous Son (10 Essential Gospel Truths for Kids)
Today we continue our detailed look at a presentation given by Jill Nelson at the 2007 Children Desiring God Conference entitled “Presenting the Gospel to Children.” In my last post, I introduced the series (including links to both the audio and the handouts. Thus far we have looked at the following:
- Essential Truth #1: God is the Sovereign Creator of All Things
- Essential Truth #2: God Created People For His Glory
- Essential Truth #3: God is Holy and Righteous
- Essential Truth #4: Man is Sinful
- Essential Truth #5: God Is Just and Right to Punish Sin
- Essential Truth #6 – God Is Merciful. He Is Kind to Undeserving Sinners
Today we will continue with the next Essential Gospel Truth which kids need to understand to combat false gospels and to understand the true and saving Gospel of Jesus Christ. So, let’s get started. ESSENTIAL TRUTH #7 IS:
Jesus is God’s holy and righteous Son.
In her talk and in the handouts to the talk, Ms. Nelson gives poignant, concise and theological sounds explanations for each of the truth which will work great with kids. I have included my notes of these explanations below, but I would encourage you to listen to and/or read her full narratives as well.
- How did God make a way for sin to be punished and sinners to be saved?
- He sent his one and only son.
- Son of God was fully God
- That means he can do anything God can do
- Heal the sick
- He was also fully human
- Because he was real
- Learned to walk, run, read and write
- Knows how hard it is to obey and trust God.
- He was able to do something we can’t – never sinned.
- Born without a sin nature – no desire to sin.
- Perfectly obeyed God’s holy and righteous commands all the time.
- Read the gospels with your children and show how Jesus never sinned.
- Compare the temptations of Adam and Jesus
- Adam had everything to eat, was tempted by Satan and failed.
- Jesus had nothing to eat, was tempted by Satan and succeeded.
- Get a whiteboard
- Make a list of all the sins you can think of
- Take an eraser and ask, “Did Jesus ever ______?”
- Erase each one by one until it is clear that Jesus never sinned.
The implication of this truth to kids is:
Jesus came into the world to save you.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. [John 1:1 ESV]
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. [John 1:14 ESV]
1 Timothy 1:15
The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. [1 Timothy 1:15 ESV]