#2: God Created People For His Glory (10 Essential Gospel Truths for Kids)
Today we continue our detailed look at a presentation given by Jill Nelson at the 2007 Children Desiring God Conference entitled “Presenting the Gospel to Children.” In my last post, I introduced the series (including links to both the audio and the handouts. Thus far we have looked at the following:
Today we will continue with the next Essential Gospel Truth which kids need to understand to combat false gospels and to understand the true and saving Gospel of Jesus Christ. So, let’s get started. ESSENTIAL TRUTH #2 IS:
God created people for his glory.
In her talk and in the handouts to the talk, Ms. Nelson gives poignant, concise and theological sounds explanations for each of the truth which will work great with kids. I have included my notes of these explanations below, but I would encourage you to listen to and/or read her full narratives as well.
- This is more abstract but very important.
- People make things with a special purpose.
- Car to drive
- Refrigerator to keep things cold
- We were created in God’s image in a certain way.
- To be like him
- We are different from animals.
- Why were we created different? – to show how great God is.
- To know him and have a special relationship with him.
- God wants his people to do this forever.
- That’s why he made heaven.
- Living forever with God is the best thing ever.
- Illustrating made in his likeness
- Hold a toy truck
- Is this a real truck or like a real truck?
- Stuffed animals: real or like a real animal?
- Illustrating the uniqueness of being made in God’s image
- Would you bring your dog to church?
- Created to show how great God is
- Use a mirror to show how it reflects images
- We reflect the image of God
The implication of this truth to kids is:
God created you to show how great he is.
1 Corinthians 10:31
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. [1 Corinthians 10:31 ESV]
I will say to the north, Give up, and to the south, Do not withhold; bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the end of the earth, everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." [Isaiah 43:6-7 ESV]