Why I Believe the Bible #16 (The Bible’s Influence on Civilization)
Geisler & Nix wrote:
“The Bible presents the highest ideals known to man, ideals that have molded civilization.”
No other book in the history of humankind has had such a vast, widespread and profound influence on civilization. No other book even comes close. This provides further proof of the supernatural inspiration of the Bible.
Consider the following:
- The United Stated system of government system set out in our constitution is based on the principles found in the Bible.
- The Declaration of Independence cites rights endowed by our creator.
- Numerous judicial systems are based on Biblical principles of justice.
- Standards of morality throughout history have been based on God’s model revealed in the Bible.
- Even in ancient cultures like the Chinese, ancient characters have been found with references to the Genesis story of Adam and Eve, the garden and the flood.
These are just a few of the many examples of the pervasive influence the Bible has had on cultures throughout time. Calvin Coolidge (30th President of the United States) once said:
“The foundations of our society and our government rest so much on the teachings of the Bible that it would be difficult to support them if faith in these teachings would cease to be practically universal in our country.”
Ronald Regan concurred:
“Of the many influences that have shaped the United States into a distinctive nation and people, none may be said to be more fundamental and enduring than the Bible.”
At the risk of drawing generalities, wherever the Bible has formed the basis of a society, those societies have generally exhibited a higher level of:
- Social change
- Living conditions
Biblical principals have been essential in:
- The abolition of slavery
- The advancement of women’s rights
Samuel Taylor Coleridge once said:
“For more than a thousand years the Bible, collectively taken, has gone hand in hand with civilization, science, law — in short, with the moral and intellectual cultivation of the species, always supporting and often leading the way.”
The Bible’s impact on societies throughout history is unquestionable and provides further evidence of its supernatural origin.