6 MORE DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!
Written by Chris Eaton, and performed by Amy Grant, this song first appeared on Amy Grant’s second Christmas album titled Home For Christmas released in 1992. On a personal note, it ranks as one of my favorite “contemporary” Christmas songs.
Commentary & Analysis
This song is written from the perspective of Mary. Mary was a young woman told by an angel that she would give birth to the Son of God. She was a young woman who traveled many miles on foot and donkey to travel to Bethlehem to be counted for the census. Although not based on the biblical account, this song is an interesting account of what it might have been like. Starting with the question as to why she might have been the one chosen and moving on the fear that Mary must have felt being the mother of Christ to questioning whether she was the right person for the job, this songs reflects on the range of emotion which Mary may have gone through ultimately crying out for God to be with her. Interestingly, the only thing the Bible tells us about Mary’s reaction was in her immediate response “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.”
Questions for further Reflection / Devotion
The following questions are meant for your reflection and or devotion. Feel free to meditate on them, discuss them with your family or others or post your responses here. I would love to hear from you.
- Reflect on what Mary must have gone through knowing that she was carrying the Son of God. What emotions do you think she felt?
- The song postulates that Mary may have waited in silent prayer. What in your life do you need to pray about and wait patiently for God?
- Do you pray for God to make you holy?
- At the end of the song, Mary offers all that she is to God. What part of you are you holding back from God?
- In light of Luke 11:27-28, why do you think Christians throughout the ages have been fascinated by Mary?
I have traveled many moonless nights
Cold and weary with a babe inside
And I wonder what I’ve done
Holy Father, you have come
And chosen me now to carry your son
I am waiting in a silent prayer
I am frightened by the load I bear
In a world as cold as stone
Must I walk this path alone?
Be with me now, Be with me now
Breath of Heaven, Hold me together
Be forever near me, Breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven, Lighten my darkness
Pour over me, your holiness for you are holy
Breath of Heaven
Do you wonder as you watch my face
If a wiser one, should have had my place
But I offer-all I am
For the mercy-of your plan
Help me be strong. Help me be. Help me