December 5 – Do You Hear What I Hear? (A Christmas Carol Advent)
20 MORE DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!
This song was written in October 1962 by Noel Regney. The music was written by Gloria Shayne Baker. It was written by the same couple who composed the children’s song “Rain, Rain Go Away.” The song, which was written in response to the Cuban Missile Crisis, was released in November 1962 and was originally recorded by the Harry Simeone Chorale. Bing Crosby recorded his famous version of the song in 1963.
Commentary & Analysis
This carol has very little biblical basis, but does address something important when it comes to celebrating the birth of Christ. As the song works its way through the various parties in the song, we see that Jesus comes for everyone. From the shepherd boy (like the shepherds visited by the angels at the birth of Christ) to the King (like King Herod who was visited by the three wise men), the birth of Christ impacts every life in some way or another.
He condescended and took on human skin on Christmas morning, died on the cross for our sins and raised on the third day to conquer death so those who accept him could live forever. He came both for the Jew and gentile, man and woman, religious and prostitute. And, he came for you and me! That is the message in this song.
Questions for further Reflection / Devotion
The following questions are meant for your reflection and or devotion. Feel free to meditate on them, discuss them with your family or others or post your responses here. I would love to hear from you.
- If you search deep in your heart, is there any group of people who you really think are beyond the saving grace of Jesus Christ?
- If you have accepted Christ, do you ever find yourself feeling better than those who have not accepted Christ? If so, should you repent of that attitude?
- The final line of this song proclaims “he will bring us goodness and light.” What goodness and light has Jesus brought into your life?
- Each verse of the song looks at a different means of interacting. Do you SEE what I SEE? Do you HEAR what I HEAR? Do you KNOW what I KNOW? Listen to what I SAY. What can you do as an ambassador for Jesus to make sure that people see, hear, and know him by knowing you?
- Take time today, amongst all the preparation, to remember that Jesus came for everyone. Pray for your unsaved friends and family that the grace of God would be extended to them.
Said the night wind to the little lamb,
“Do you see what I see?
Way up in the sky, little lamb,
Do you see what I see?
A star, a star, dancing in the night
With a tail as big as a kite,
With a tail as big as a kite.”
Said the little lamb to the shepherd boy,
“Do you hear what I hear?
Ringing through the sky, shepherd boy,
Do you hear what I hear?
A song, a song high above the trees
With a voice as big as the sea,
With a voice as big as the sea.”
Said the shepherd boy to the mighty king,
“Do you know what I know?
In your palace warm, mighty king,
Do you know what I know?
A Child, a Child shivers in the cold–
Let us bring him silver and gold,
Let us bring him silver and gold.”
Said the king to the people everywhere,
“Listen to what I say!
Pray for peace, people, everywhere,
Listen to what I say!
The Child, the Child sleeping in the night
He will bring us goodness and light,
He will bring us goodness and light.”